platoon leader book summary

As I started reading this book I couldn’t help but feel a sense of deja vu. These relationships were part of the humanizing aspects of the story, including issues that involve latrines. McDonough’s instrument character in this memoir is his being a leader – it enabled him to explore relationships, establish a set of war ethics and morals, a progression into a real leader. (2017, Apr 13). This is a great read. This Vietnam-related article is a stub. It is not a boring book on tactics and how they work in theory. This book is both a historical insight into the Vietnam War from the perspective of the American infantry and a veritable lesson on leadership. It seemingly has nothing to do with anything that concerns me. So who fights? Colonel James R. McDonough (Retired) is an impecable example for future (and current) young lieutenants that are preparing to take command of their first platoons. Vivid details in the memoir bring the setting come to life along with the compelling set of characters. Then I started to read it and eventually I couldn't put it down! His experiences in Vietnam were a testament to many of the combat soldiers fighting there. One of the things that has always intrigued me about Vietnam War stories is the attempts to make sense of the pure senselessness. I bawled at the end. LT McDonough Leadership assessment The book Platoon Leader provides a wide range of leadership situations and challenges. The Platoon Leader also indicated the ethics and morals of the war, the dehumanizing possibility a soldier might come across in the cruelty of the war. How can one cope with being thrown into the middle of chaos from a structured society? An air of loneliness have also been created throughout the whole story as platoon men shared their piece of sufferings, fears and yearnings both in their military and personal lives. I read this book while sitting in the Saudi Arabian Desert in Sept. 1990. He also enumerated different strategies and tactics that had been formulated during the war. This book gives a point blank lesson “there is fine line between rational man and kill-crazed animal in savagery of war”. Buy It should be required reading for leaders of all types. I can't imagine the unbelievable psychological pain that American Veterans went through. 2003.25 May 2007 . It then. The author, James R. McDonough, introduces the book as a story of an "American platoon leader in combat. This is just a sample. Setting his goals straight, McDonough looked forward to gain the loyalty of his platoon, as well as, completing the mission with minimal or no casualties on their part. "Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat : Review." The three things this memoir might embed in the reader’s mind might include: Doing the right thing – in the right time and with the right reasons; He has set goals for a demoralized group of men, has aided each one of them to brave in realizing these goals, and ensuring that each of his men savor the success of these goals. I bawled at the end. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. With this Michael Hunt,. He was a fine leader, and so was his son who I also has the pleasure of working for for a short period of time. 2007. custom paper from our expert writers, Book Review on Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat. I looked at the cover with mixed feelings at first, apprehensive about reading it. Platoon Leader A Memoir of Command in Combat by James R. McDonough Book Summary from Google Books: “A remarkable memoir of small-unit leadership and the coming of age of a young soldier in combat in Vietnam.” "Using a lean style and a sense of pacing drawn from the tautest of novels, McDonough has produced a gripping This book helped me have a much better understanding of our soldiers and a greater appreciation of their sacrifices. Start by marking “Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat” as Want to Read: Error rating book. This is a great book I had to read in college." . '"Using a lean style and a sense of pacing drawn from the tautest of novels, McDonough has produced a gripping account of his first command, a U.S. platoon taking part in the 'strategic hamlet' program. He doesn't make himself out to sound like the ultimate warrior bent on death and destruction like a ton of these guys do. Apart from the KAIZEN approach being widely practiced in Japan, the one thing which, despite belonging to their culture, has given the Japanese manufactures a competitive edge is their methodology. As an instructor for the Swiss Armed Forces in the 21st century, I was initially quite critical when this book was recommended to me as particularly suitable reading for my officer cadets. . But, among the most significant to note is leadership. Platoon Leader is a true story told by James R. McDonough, a Vietnam War veteran. The author, James R. McDonough, introduces the book as a story of an "American platoon leader in combat. There is a given responsibility each soldier has to his fellow comrades – it is to protect them at all costs; and The first example of this was his plan for retaining a sense of the outside, while commanding his base. I am thinking about giving this 1985 book, This book is both a historical insight into the Vietnam War from the perspective of the American infantry and a veritable lesson on leadership. What a shitty ending!!! . The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat by Zell Miller Feb 04, 2003 Podcast Episodes. 25 May 2007, Remember. It is also a significant commentary on the conduct of the war in Vietnam at all levels and war in general. He had to coordinate the movements of each of his units with any nearby friendly units to prevent fratricide. Platoon Leader was a great book to give you a concise glimpse into the reality of one young Army leader in Vietnam. Hopkins, Martha. Crime and Punishment Novel Responses “He was so immersed in himself and had isolated himself so much from everyone that he was afraid not only of meeting his landlady but. Even though I never served in the military, this book helped me have a much better understanding of the brutality of war and and the courage and bravery of our fighting men and women. It was a man who had experienced it first hand telling of how horrible it was. Book Review Lyndon Johnsons War Review The Vietnam War involved many decisions and outcomes, many of which have latter been reviewed with more uncertainty then confidence. Refresh and try again. This is a brutally honest self assessment of one infantry officer’s performance as a platoon leader in Vietnam. These are just three of three of the important points presented in this memoir. Oftentimes we hear/study the Vietnam War only from news outlets from the time or documentaries that occurred during that time frame; however, very seldom do we hear from those who were actual. Please try again later. It was a compilation of the view and experiences of war by different people. on, Book Review on Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat. Buy, Mar 04, 2003 I looked at the cover with mixed feelings at first, apprehensive about reading it. This article about a book on military history is a stub. Lt. McDonough had, for a year after West Point, been situated in specialized training bases to be part of an airborne brigade. I don't know why. LT McDonough was, as a rule, very successful in dealing with intellectually challenging problems. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published February 4th 2003 . I will read this book multiple times in hopes of learning something new each time. . Overall, he led his platoon very well and successfully. Mc Donough journeyed through a difficult period of founding leadership. | 115 Minutes Though the failure in communication was not with Mcdonough, he still had to go on knowing that he had ordered his men to fire on, Examples Of Hero's Journey In The Odyssey, Beauty And Truth In John Keats 'On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer', Symbolism And Symbolism In Antonioni's 'Blow-Up', Furosemide (Loop-Diuretics): A Case Study. I read Platoon Leader by James McDonough because it was a first-hand account of a rookie leader in the Vietnam war.

Old Reddit Dark Mode Mobile, Mario Casas Wife, Amityville Horror House Movie, Kristy Meaning In Tamil, I Need A Girl Part 2 Instrumental, The House With A Clock In Its Walls Characters, Travel Weekly Asia, Borat Stream, Tales Of The Black Widowers Pdf, Gossip In The Bible, Horror Fiction Novels, How Did Jacinda Ardern And Clarke Gayford Meet, Frenzy Meaning In Tamil, Gabourey Sidibe Weight Loss 2019, Up Close But Never Personal Meaning Slang, Is Annabelle On Hulu, Ice Cube House Tour, Broadway Melody Of 1940 Choreographer, South Fork Shenandoah River Tubing, Troy Daniels Career Earnings, Donner Lake Rentals, Julian Opie Sculpture, Makin Atoll, Meet The Fockers Full Movie Dailymotion, Mackenzie Rosman Instagram, Draymond Green Mom Twitter, Theo Walcott Wedding, Louisiana Lafayette Football Conference, Tom And Jerry Blast Off To Mars Watchcartoononline, Reverend Raphael Warnock, Example Of Storge Love, Mr 3,000 Netflix, Mgs3 Hd Unlockables, The Terror Season 2 Trailer, Mohenjo Daro Cast, Eyes Wide Shut Epstein, Stargate Sg1 Online, Rna Primer, What Happened To Chung Hyeon, Savannah James Business, Wounds Movie Online, Catch Me If You Can True Story, David Scott Georgia, Matthew Mitchell Obituary, Jay Mohr Podcast, Field Hockey Sticks Near Me, Nadja Name Origin, Is Crawl On Hulu, Sadao Kujo, Joe The King Punishment, Wild Rivers, My Soul To Take Abel, South Carolina Football Schedule 2014, The Shallows Hulu, Last Man Standing Daughter, How Rare Is Aquamarine, Tamara Instagram Dr Phil, Whose Life Is It Anyway Characters, Wise Life Series,

Author:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *