for pete's sake saying

Posted by New Kid on the Block on April 22, 2000, In Reply to: Pete's sake posted by ESC on April 20, 2000. : : : : : : How did the saying "For Pete's Sake" come from? Grammar, etymology, usage, and more, brought to you by Patricia T. O’Conner and Stewart Kellerman, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window). And why? Q: Can you  tell me who Pete is and why do we do things for his sake?

In 1977, it was used as the basis for the Hindi film Aap Ki Khatir Plot synopsis.

in this nutty 1974 feature by Peter Yates (Bullitt, Breaking Away). Henrietta 'Henry' Robbins: He should buy you electrolysis, Helen, so the Brotherhood-of-TV-Dealers won't think ol' Fred is shacked up with some fat-ass grizzly bear! : : : : This is called a "Minced oath," a substitution of a less offensive word. And along the same line, a person starts to say "For God's Sake" and says "For Pete's Sake" instead.

The Oxford English Dictionary explains that the name “Pete” in these exclamations is chiefly “a euphemistic replacement” for God. Definition of for Pete's sake in the Idioms Dictionary. A housewife tries to finance her cab-driving husband's education.

Would you let me finish my story, for Pete's sake? Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary, the webmaster's page for free fun content, HEAD OVER HEELS; AFTER LADY GAGA PERFORMED A SPECTACULAR FALL ON TOUR THIS WEEK, JENNY FRANCIS TAKES A LOOK AT OTHER CELEBRITIES WHO'VE TAKEN A TUMBLE ON THE BIG STAGE, Football: Thistle-toe and whine as Jags crisis deepens; PARTICK TH 0 ST JOHNSTONE 4, SUNDAY ROAST: All Villa want for Christmas is a miracle, I want Blake back; AMY'S AMAZING FESTIVAL CONFESSION, Bruce Millington's column: Blues will cruise it, shame about Hammers, ON THE BOX: EASTENDURRRGHS! It's called a minced oath - where you substitute a less offensive word. Why “Pete” rather than “Phil” or “Fred” or “Percy”? instead of the more obvious and offensive blasphemy of using Christ's name or God's name ("for God's sake"). Director Yates, as has often been the case, didn't quite get his head around this sort of broad material; as comedy goes, he has proven more adept with sweeter, droller films such as Breaking Away. Or starts to say the F-word and says instead, "For goodness sake.". Origin of For Pete’s Sake. Think of St Peter. So you'd say "For St Peter's sake!" A "minced oath" means when a person starts to let go with a really bad swear -- like God damn -- realizes he/she shouldn't say it and substitutes a harmless phrase like "Godfrey Daniel." For Pete's sake! "For Pete's Sake Quotes." You can't swear, else the local priests will have you up before the Bishop and the Lord alone knows what the outcome of that will be, so you exclaim, in appropriate tone of voice, "For Saint Peter's sake" and carry on erecting the shelves. : : : Not by me it's not; I just consider it a mild swearword to be used in polite company to express irritation at some other person's action or, more likely, inaction. As a Pete, I’m curious for my own sake. Pink pander. Synonyms for for Pete's sake include for Christ's sake, for crying out loud, for God's sake, for goodness' sake, for heaven's sake, for mercy's sake, for pity's sake, for Goddess's sake, FFS and oh no. Curious about derivation of this idiom, I did a little research and discovered that it was created to substitute for what was considered a more profane expression — “for God’s sake” or “for Christ’s sake.” In medieval times, that was considered blasphemous. Henrietta 'Henry' Robbins: Of what am I supposed to be jealous? Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. (Among the latter is wonderful character work by Molly Picon, Estelle Parsons, and William Redfield.) For Pete's sake! Helen Robbins: You're jealous because Fred has money and can buy me nice things. For Pete’s Sake Meaning. Think of St Peter. For pity's sake! --Tom Keogh, https://www.quotes.net/movies/for_pete's_sake_quotes_4095. They originated as substitutes for something stronger—“for  Christ’s sake,” “for God’s sake,” “for the love of God,” and so on. She has Robert Scheer saying nice things about North Korea. In Marion County, Ind., a female police officer spotted a guy speeding and swerving on his moped--not a motorcycle, not even a motorbike, but a moped. This phrase was amended to "For Pete's Sake" in later, less religiously oppressive, times.

How To Stop Gaslighting In A Relationship, Closers Gameplay, Nate Mcmillan Coaching Record, Everlast Jump Around, Julius Randle Defense, Jack Nicholson Movies Ranked, Good Boys Online, Decoy Antonym, Federer Weeks In Top 10, Apollo Roman God, The Hole Movie Netflix, Koine Greek Pronunciation Pdf, Realtors New Canaan, Ct, Christmas Village Sets, Brach's Peppermint Candy, James Harden Attributes 2k19, Haunted Houses In Toronto, Racing Tv, Primer Online, Mother And Child Painting Artemisia, Types Of Debugging In Software Engineering, Leicester Tigers Coach Rumours, Secret Life Of Pets 2 Characters, Rangers Players 2016, Alex Karras Net Worth, Brendan Cole Net Worth, Most Popular Sports In America 2019, Stephanie Movie Ending Explained, Congressional District 13, Raising Cain Documentary Transcript, Tonio Trussardi Recipe, Fake Plastic Trees Tab, Tau Symbol Word, Posse Scholarship, Get Into Phrasal Verb, Debugging In C Programming Examples, My Love Meaning, Is James Harden Going To The Warriors, Pepe Serna Height, Birdy Husband, Silver Linings Playbook Book Vs Movie, Down And Out In Beverly Hills Full Movie 123movies, Chrome And Hot Leather Wiki, Robbo Incorporated, Wow Classes, Russell Westbrook Hoodie Jordan, Jean-michel Basquiat Influences, Trading Habits: 39 Of The World's Most Powerful Stock Market Rules Pdf, My Bloody Valentine 2 Till Death Do Us Part, Paula Patton Son 2020, You Shall Not Sleep Full Movie 123movies,

Author:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *